Man sets off on charity trek to help veterans
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Loddon man has set off on a 96-mile walk as part of a charity Christmas fundraiser to support homeless and vulnerable veterans.
Robert Collett, 45, is taking on the Walking Home for Christmas Challenge, in aid of military charity Walking with the Wounded.
He started this morning at Knettishall Heath, and will be walking Peddars Way up to Hunstanton and taking the Norfolk Coast Path to Cromer, aiming to arrive on Sunday, December 4.
Mr Collett was in the Royal Navy for a short time, and wanted to do something to help vulnerable ex servicemen.
He said: 'It's the first time I've done something like this. I'm looking forward to the challenge, I always like pushing myself.
You may also want to watch:
'I do tyre flipping training and rugby training so I'm pretty fit.
'And I'm used to the cold because I go surfing all year round.'
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
The father-of-three plays for the veteran team at Beccles Rugby Club, and coaches the under 15s squad.
He is walking the route alone and camping along the way, carrying all his equipment on his back.
He said: 'My family think I'm a bit mad.
'But the more money I can raise the better.'
The campaign aims to help vulnerable veterans to reintegrate into society and lead an independent life, through employment.
To sponsor Mr Collett visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/robertcollett
Are you taking part in a special fundraiser this Christmas? Email the details to email@example.com