Man jailed for racially abusing and spitting at police officers
- Credit: IAN BURT
A Norwich man has been jailed for 17 weeks after admitting offences including assaulting a police officer and being drunk and disorderly.
46-year-old John Smith, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty at Norwich Magistrates Court after an incident in Orford Place in the city on Friday 25 May 2018
It happened around 9.30am when officers attended following reports Smith was drunk and being abusive to members of the public.
Whilst being detained, Smith shouted racial abuse at an officer before spitting at a second officer in custody at Wymondham Police Investigation Centre.
He was charged and appeared at court for sentencing on Thursday 31 May. Smith was also ordered to pay £120 in compensation.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 6 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 7 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden