Man held over hairdresser killing
CHRIS BISHOP A man has been arrested over the murder of a hairdresser found dead in a ditch more than 10 years ago.
A man has been arrested over the murder of a hairdresser found dead in a ditch more than 10 years ago.
Russell Marsom, 29, was found lying face-up in water at Milton, near Cambridge, in March 1996.
Police said a 34-year-old man who was arrested in Islington, North London, this morning was being brought to Peterborough for questioning over his death.
Det Insp Nick Hunt, of Cambridgeshire police, said: “This investigation is very much open and work is still being done in an attempt to establish how Russell died. The post-morten concluded he drowned, but we don't know how he came to be in the water-filled ditch in Milton in the first place.”
An inquest recorded an open verdict, after hearing his death could have resulted from an occult ritual that went wrong.
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 7 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 8 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 9 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 10 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
Police know that on the Saturday night before Mr Marsom died he left his home in Hunstanton in his black Fiat Uno, with a pink stripe along its side. He was going to a popular gay club in Cambridge.
Little else is known about events between then and the following morning, when Mr Marsom's body was found.
Police are convinced someone must have been with him when he died because his body had been arranged after death. He was found with his arms folded, clutching a twig.