Man died from natural causes and drug toxicity after discharging himself from hospital
PUBLISHED: 09:19 29 March 2018
Archant Norfolk 2016
A man with a long history of alcohol abuse died days after discharging himself from hospital, an inquest has heard.
Aynsley Watson, 36, from Howard Crescent in Dereham, was found dead in his home by his sister on August 22 last year.
A full inquest into the death was held at Norwich’s Carrow House on Wednesday March 28.
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake said Mr Watson, who was unemployed, died from a combination of natural causes and drug toxicity.
Mostly therapeutic levels of prescription drugs were found in his blood.
There were no suspicious circumstances and the medical cause of death was bronchopneumonia and the toxic effects of drugs.
Evidence from family, medical experts and social workers, revealed that Mr Watson had suffered with alcohol abuse problems for several years, had gone through long periods of detox and sobriety, and was on various forms of medication.
The inquest heard that Mr Watson also suffered with bipolar disorder, but did not have any suicidal thoughts, hypertension and type 2 diabetes.
Mrs Lake said: “Mr Watson was clearly intelligent and friendly when he wasn’t under the influence of alcohol. He had a long history of alcohol abuse.”
His mother, Sandra Watson, said her son had been “drowsy” on the phone when she rang him multiple times on the day he died.
She said: “He was a really nice, kind man who wouldn’t say anything bad about anyone.”
Mr Watson’s GP Dr Kumar said the 36-year-old displayed “risk-taking behaviour” in terms of not always taking his medication as prescribed.
Dr Kumar added Mr Watson last visited the surgery on August 10 when he admitted to drinking alcohol for one week, after being sober for a year.
Mrs Lake said Mr Watson was admitted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) on August 14 for dehydration and vomiting but self-discharged on August 18.
He was referred to the Norfolk Recovery Partnership and adult social services because of lack of “self-care” but was visited daily by his mother.
Dr Simon Chan, NNUH consultant gastroenterologist, said: “I felt he was medically fit and was suitable for community detox. He was committed to abstinence.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.