Appeal after crash on A1101 near Wisbech leaves man with “critical” injuries
- Credit: Norfolk Constabulary
A man is in a critical condition after a collision involving a car and a lorry.
He was driving a Ford Focus which collided head-on with the HGV on the 1101 near Wisbech in the early hours of this morning.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the crash, which happened at the Gaultree junction with the Outwell Road, Emneth, at around 1.25am.
The driver of the car has been taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital with what were described as 'life threatening injuries'.
The alarm was raised after a passing ambulance crew saw the collision, which left debris strewn alongside the northbound carriageway.
An East of England Ambulance spokesman said: 'At just before 1.30am today one of our ambulance crews witnessed a serious collision on Outwell Road, Emneth.
'The ambulance crew treated a man who had suffered serious injuries. An ambulance officer, rapid response vehicle and response car from Magpas were also dispatched.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 7 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 10 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
'The man was treated at scene and was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in a critical condition. He was later transferred to Addenbrooke's Hospital for further care.'
The single carriageway road between Wisbech and Outwell was closed for more than eight hours as specialist crash investigators examined the scene. It has now re-opened.
The A10 was also closed this morning after a collision involving two cars and a lorry near Watlington. It has now re-opened.
A police spokesperson said the drivers were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Police say witnesses should call Swaffham road policing on 101.