Man dies after choking on his breakfast at care home
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
A man died after choking on his breakfast in a care home.
Great Yarmouth-born Matthew Hook, 49, died on April 15 last year while a resident at The Hollies residential care home in Morningthorpe.
An inquest in Norwich on January 15 heard his cause of death was global hypoxic brain injury due to choking.
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake concluded the death was an accident, which happened around 10.20am after Mr Hook had eaten breakfast.
Francesca Kowalczyk, home manager at the time, said Mr Hook, who had bipolar disorder, did not have problems with eating.
You may also want to watch:
She confirmed The Hollies staff were first-aid trained.
Just before he collapsed, the 49-year-old wanted some air but did not show choking signs.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 3 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 4 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
'We did everything we could,' the former manager added.
Staff called 999 and followed CPR instructions before paramedics took Mr Hook to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where he was declared dead.