Man dies after choking on his breakfast at care home
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
A man died after choking on his breakfast in a care home.
Great Yarmouth-born Matthew Hook, 49, died on April 15 last year while a resident at The Hollies residential care home in Morningthorpe.
An inquest in Norwich on January 15 heard his cause of death was global hypoxic brain injury due to choking.
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake concluded the death was an accident, which happened around 10.20am after Mr Hook had eaten breakfast.
The care home manager at the time of the incident said Mr Hook, who had bipolar disorder, did not have problems with eating.
She confirmed The Hollies staff were first-aid trained.
Just before he collapsed, the 49-year-old wanted some air but did not show choking signs.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
'We did everything we could,' the former manager added.
Staff called 999 and followed CPR instructions before paramedics took Mr Hook to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where he was declared dead.