Man denies people trafficking charge
A 38-year-old man today denied a people smuggling charge when he appeared before magistrates.Peteris Kalva of Cherry Road, Wisbech, is alleged to have committed the offence in connection with controlling prostitution in the town between July 24 and August 25.
A 38-year-old man today denied a people smuggling charge when he appeared before magistrates.
Peteris Kalva of Cherry Road, Wisbech, is alleged to have committed the offence in connection with controlling prostitution in the town between July 24 and August 25.
Kalva , who was arrested on Thursday, was refused bail and was remanded in custody by Fenland magistrates until a committal hearing on October 2.
The full wording of the charge facing Kalva alleges that between July 24 and August 25, he “intentionally arranged or facilitated travel within the UK by another person, intending to do something to or in respect of that other person, during or after the journey and any part of the world which if done would have involved the commission of a relevant offence as defined by section 60 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, namely controlling prostitution”.
You may also want to watch:
The move is the latest by the police team working on Operation Radium, part of a national drive to end the trafficking trade which sees young women brought from Eastern Europe, Africa and the Far East to be auctioned as sex slaves in the UK.
Kalva is believed to be the first man from Cambridgeshire to be charged with the offence.
- 1 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 8 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named