Man charged with the double murder of a Suffolk couple has been remanded in custody
- Credit: Archant
A man charged with the double murder of a Suffolk couple has been remanded in custody until August 19.
Ali Qazimaj was due to appear before Ipswich magistrates this morning to be formally charged with the murder of Peter Stuart, 75, and his wife Sylvia, 69, of Mill Lane, Weybread, near Diss.
However, the 43-year-old Qazimaj declined to appear until he had an Albanian interpreter present to ensure he could understand the proceedings.
In his absence his solicitor Stephen Harris, who expressed his frustration with Capita which provides interpreters, said his client had told him that his name was Vital Dapi and not Ali Qazimaj.
The magistrates sent Qazimaj, of no fixed abode but formerly of Tilbury, to Ipswich Crown Court for a hearing this afternoon.
He was brought before the court and the case was adjourned until August 19 for a plea and trial preparation hearing.
He is currently remanded in custody and there was no bail application.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 7 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 10 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
Mr Stuart's body was found near his home on June 3. He died from multiple stab wounds.
Mrs Stuart is still missing. However police have said they believe she has been murdered.