Major road will be closed during Lowestoft bridge repairs
Maintenance work on the A12 bascule bridge in Lowestoft will continue this weekend.
Repairs are being carried out on one of the hydraulic drive units which lift the bridge. As a result the bridge over Lake Lothing will be closed overnight on Sunday between 10pm and 6am, and again on Sunday, June 5 to Wednesday, June 8 between 8pm and 6am.
Highways Agency project manager Tim Hughes said: 'Inspection of the hydraulic drive unit during February indicated that some parts required engineering work and this was undertaken during April.
'These overnight closures are essential for the safe re-assembly and testing of the hydraulic drive unit.
'We know how important the Bascule Bridge is to the people of Lowestoft and we will do all we can to ensure that the work is completed as quickly as possible and delays are kept to an absolute minimum.'
A free bus service will be provided for pedestrians wishing to cross the bridge during the closures.
A signed diversion route will be set up for traffic, but road users are advised to leave extra time for their journeys.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
The diversion will run along the A1117 Bloodmoor Road, A146 to the Mutford Lock Bridge in Oulton Broad onto the A117 rejoining the A12 at the Tesco Roundabout. Southbound traffic will follow the diversion in reverse.
Local traffic will follow a northbound diversion off London Road via Pier Terrace, Horn Hill, Waveney Drive and Bridge Road to cross Mutford Lock Bridge, and join the A12 at the top of Katwijk Way. Southbound traffic will follow the same diversion in reverse.
All restrictions will be removed outside working times.