Lynnsport celebrates a milestone today
Celebrations are under way as Lynnsport today marks the 25th anniversary since its facilities were opened by the Queen.
When Lynnsport in King's Lynn opened on August 2, 1991, it was hailed East Anglia's biggest sporting and leisure complex set in more than 70 acres of land and cost £7m.
To mark the milestone, Alive Leisure, the charitable trust that now runs the facilities, is organising a series of events throughout the year to celebrate its legacy so far – and its vision for the future.
Already, on Sunday, there were demonstrations of various sports organised across the town centre, many of the clubs involved in the event are based at Lynnsport and regularly use the facilities. The complex also has new tennis courts.
And the celebrations will continue tonight, as West Norfolk Mayor David Whitby opens the centre's new football pitches on the multi-purpose games area.
You may also want to watch:
Simon McKenna, the chief executive of Alive Leisure, said: 'Alive Lynnsport's 25th anniversary is certainly a milestone to celebrate.
'Before the centre was built, our area was certainly behind the times when it came to sporting provision. But Lynnsport changed that, and put west Norfolk on the map as offering among the best facilities in the region.'
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 10 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
Chris Bamfield, from West Norfolk Council, added: 'Even after 25 years, it remains a fantastic facility for west Norfolk. It has grown and developed over time and has an exciting future ahead.'
Paula Reed is one of four employees who has worked at Lynnsport since it opened.
'I remember we were all so excited when it first opened,' she said. 'It has brought so much to west Norfolk.'
Is there a centre important to your community celebrating an anniversary? Email firstname.lastname@example.org