Lyng fire: Ex-firefighter describes moment blaze spreads from neighbour’s oil tank to his bungalow
- Credit: Archant
A former firefighter has described the moment he watched as flames from his neighbours' burning oil tank spread to the roof of his own home.
Dennis Turner, 79, had been watching the news when another neighbour ran over to tell him that his shed was on fire.
By the time he got out, the flames had spread to the roof of his bungalow on Pightle Road in Lyng.
He said: 'I phoned 999 and they said a pump was on the way, but if it got any worse to let them know.
'The wind carried the flames right onto the roof and it then took out my electrics so I couldn't ring back.'
The flames engulfed part of a tree and Mr Turner's roof.
The former industrial firefighter of 25 years added: 'I just let it burn as there was nothing I could do about it.'
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 8 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 9 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
Crews from Dereham, Earlham and Reepham were called to the scene.
By the time the fire was extinguished Mr Turner's shed was destroyed and his kitchen, utility room and hallway were ruined. Neighbours helped to cover his roof with a tarpaulin to stop rain getting in.
Mr Turner and his 78-year-old wife, Ruth, who was not home, were due to stay at a hotel last night.
Neighbour John McKeown, 65, who saw the flames as he returned home, said: 'At first I just thought 'Christ, the house is on fire'.' I couldn't believe it, we had just had a lovely weekend away and we came back to this. But when I realised it was not our house but next doors and that it was our oil tank that caused it, we were devastated.'