Lyng fire: Ex-firefighter describes moment blaze spreads from neighbour’s oil tank to his bungalow
- Credit: Archant
A former firefighter has described the moment he watched as flames from his neighbours' burning oil tank spread to the roof of his own home.
Dennis Turner, 79, had been watching the news when another neighbour ran over to tell him that his shed was on fire.
By the time he got out, the flames had spread to the roof of his bungalow on Pightle Road in Lyng.
He said: 'I phoned 999 and they said a pump was on the way, but if it got any worse to let them know.
'The wind carried the flames right onto the roof and it then took out my electrics so I couldn't ring back.'
You may also want to watch:
The flames engulfed part of a tree and Mr Turner's roof.
The former industrial firefighter of 25 years added: 'I just let it burn as there was nothing I could do about it.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
Crews from Dereham, Earlham and Reepham were called to the scene.
By the time the fire was extinguished Mr Turner's shed was destroyed and his kitchen, utility room and hallway were ruined. Neighbours helped to cover his roof with a tarpaulin to stop rain getting in.
Mr Turner and his 78-year-old wife, Ruth, who was not home, were due to stay at a hotel last night.
Neighbour John McKeown, 65, who saw the flames as he returned home, said: 'At first I just thought 'Christ, the house is on fire'.' I couldn't believe it, we had just had a lovely weekend away and we came back to this. But when I realised it was not our house but next doors and that it was our oil tank that caused it, we were devastated.'