Lupin landscape picture wins photographer from Mellis, near Eye, international acclaim
- Credit: Richard Bloom
This stunning picture of vibrant lupins growing at Lake Tekapo in New Zealand has helped a Suffolk photographer win an international photography award.
Richard Bloom, who lives in Mellis, near Eye, was on holiday in December 2014 when he spotted lupins growing on the roadside.
Getting up before dawn the next day, he drove out to Lake Tekapo, on the South Island, and was met with the sight of the sun rising above the flowers.
He said: 'I've never seen them naturalised like that before. They are a common garden plant and to see them in a wild and natural landscape was incredible. I'm very proud of the photograph.'
The picture made the 42 year old the overall winner of the International Garden Photographer of the Year competition for 2016, with judges calling the photograph a 'joy to behold'.
Mr Bloom, who's father is Adrian Bloom, chairman of Blooms Nurseries at Bressingham, near Diss, was also the overall winner of the wildlife landscape picture.
The competition attracted 23,000 entries from across the world and the father of two said he felt very proud to have won.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
He said: 'The standard of the photography is incredibly high and I was not expecting to win. I don't think I realise the potential it had.'
For more about Mr Bloom and his photography, visit http://www.richardbloom.co.uk/