Lowestoft volunteers needed to help power fight against dementia
- Credit: Archant
Fundraisers in the Lowestoft area are being asked to come forward to join a new group, which is launching today (Monday) to support Alzheimer's Research UK.
The charity is looking for volunteers with a range of skills to help the group which, as the UK's leading dementia research charity, aims to raise vital funds and awareness for dementia research.
Members can get involved in a variety of ways, such as getting stuck into fundraising challenges to raise money for pioneering research, representing Alzheimer's Research UK at events or spreading the word about the charity within their local communities.
Alzheimer's Research UK regional groups play a crucial part in the fight against dementia, which currently affects over 850,000 across the UK.
A number of members are already signed up and have helped set up the group, and they are now looking forward to welcoming others to the team.
You may also want to watch:
They are currently organising their first events in October, which will include a sponsored walk and a dance.
One member is local author Suzan Collins, who used to manage care homes and now delivers training on dementia.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 7 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 8 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 9 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 10 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
Suzan, who lives in Lowestoft, said: 'During my time working in the care sector I have come into contact with many people living with dementia. It is a devastating condition and one where there are still huge advances to be made in the understanding of the disease processes.
'It's so important that we can all come together to fight back against dementia and anyone wishing to join will be welcomed into our group, we are all so passionate about the cause.'
Alzheimer's Research UK Regional Fundraising Officer for East Anglia, Jessica Sayer, will be on hand to provide advice, materials and assistance when needed.
She said: 'There are 47 million people across the world living with dementia. Regional fundraising groups are vital in helping us to defeat dementia, both through raising funds and helping to spread awareness of this cruel condition. I look forward to welcoming new members to the group.'
Anyone wishing to get involved can contact Jessica Sayer on 07789006929 or email email@example.com.
For further information about Alzheimer's Research UK call 0300 111 5555 or visit www.alzheimersresearchuk.org