Lowestoft Town FC pays tribute to popular bar manager
- Credit: Archant
Warm tributes have been paid to a 'very special' member of staff at Lowestoft Town Football Club.
Social club bar manager Carol Rice died at the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston earlier this month with her family at her side, after a short battle with cancer.
A familiar face to supporters at the club, she had been a popular member of the staff at Crown Meadow for two decades – stretching back to when the Trawlerboys were still playing in the Eastern Counties League.
A minute's applause was held in memory of Mrs Rice before Lowestoft Town's home match against AFC Fylde in the Conference North.
Leading the tributes, long-serving Lowestoft Town secretary, Terry Lynes, said: 'Carol Rice was an important member of the Lowestoft Town FC staff for the best part of 20 years and, as such, I probably knew her for longer than most people currently involved with the club.
You may also want to watch:
'Initially, she worked behind the bar before taking on the responsibility of bar manager – a role she fulfilled tirelessly with skill and enthusiasm.
'Her culinary skills earned Lowestoft Town the reputation of providing players and match officials with the best after-match food in the Ryman League.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Mr Lynes added: 'Carol was working normally in the club on the day of our civic reception on June 15 and the suddenness of her passing just a few weeks later shocked and saddened us all.
'She will be missed by us all and is a hard act to follow.'
A Lowestoft Town spokesman added it was with 'a heavy heart' that all those involved with the club had learned about Mrs Rice's death.
'Carol was a much loved long-term employee at Lowestoft Town Football Club, as the bar manager of the social club, and her recent passing is a very sad time for the club and everyone who knew Carol,' the spokesman said.
'Everyone at Lowestoft Town FC has her husband Paul Rice, her daughters Toni and Kelly and the rest of her family in their thoughts and prayers at this very sad time.'
Mrs Rice's funeral took place today at Gorleston Crematorium, be followed by a wake at Lowestoft Town FC's headquarters in Love Road.