Top quality dinghy racing to be showcased on east coast
- Credit: Archant
Olympic hopefuls will be among 100 of the UK's best young sailors who are expected to descend on Lowestoft this weekend.
Dedicated competitors and their families will be travelling from as far away as Finland, Ireland, Scotland and all over England and Wales for two days of top quality dinghy racing this weekend (October 13/14).
The International Laser Class Association's World and European qualifier will be held on the east coast as the event is hosted by the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club (RN&SYC).
Competition is expected to be fierce as this event is a qualifier for those wanting a place in next year's World and European Championships.
With racing in two fleets arranged – the smaller sail 'radial' fleet and the standard size sail – will feature local RN&SYC sailor Joe Drake, Arabella Sabberton from NBYC returns to the Laser fleet for this event while Hickling Broad SC's Georgina Povall is hoping to get to the Olympics in the radial fleet in 2020.
You may also want to watch:
Other Olympic hopefuls competing include Alison Young who represented the UK in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and Nick Thompson who was at the 2016 Olympics.
Dot Beadsworth, class secretary, said: 'The Class have already been impressed by the hard work and welcoming attitude of the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club and staff whilst planning this event, and are very much looking forward coming back to Lowestoft and the RN&SYC to what should again be another fantastic weekend.'
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us
If any local sailors are interested in entering the event, please get in touch with the Laser UK Class secretary, Dorothy Beadsworth on 07770 951194 or email@example.com – late entries accepted.