Lowestoft teenager wins top volunteering award
A Lowestoft teenager who has been in care for four years has been named as best new volunteer at a national awards ceremony for her efforts in helping other youngsters in care.
Zoe Burden, 18, clinched the best new volunteer award at the vInspired National Awards the largest youth volunteering awards in the country.
Zoe beat off hundreds of rival nominations to win the award on Friday at the BFI IMax in Southwark, London.
The modest teenager impressed the judges with her volunteer spirit as she takes children in care out on trips and helps them to socialise.
Zoe helps other youngsters as a volunteer for the Brighter Futures organisation, where she takes children in care out on trips and helps them to socialise.
You may also want to watch:
She is also a member of a children in care council and attends conferences and gives speeches about the importance of the care system.
It was the third national awards held by vInspired, which since its launch in 2006 has worked with more than 500 charities and community organisations and 200 businesses to create more than a million volunteering opportunities for young people.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 What happened when The Only Way Is Essex was filmed in Norfolk?
Terry Ryall, chief executive officer of vInspired, said Zoe's enthusiasm for volunteering was 'amazing' and she had made a difference to people's lives.
The other categories at the awards were all round commitment to volunteering, bringing communities together, team activity, outstanding contribution by a youth worker and most outstanding team.