Lowestoft singing group to perform musical composed especially for them
- Credit: Archant
A talented group of young performers are preparing to stage a musical written especially for them.
Singing Futures will be performing Ruth The Musical next month, composed by Joe Knight of Take Note in Lowestoft.
Based on the Old Testament's Book of Ruth, Mr Knight wrote the show after the group's musical director Carol Secret came into his shop.
Unable to find the perfect musical for Singing Futures to perform, Mr Knight began writing one himself.
'I've wanted to write a musical for ages,' he said. 'And I'm absolutely thoroughly delighted and humbled to have it being performed. It's a great honour to have anything you've written played or sung.'
You may also want to watch:
The group's 14 members include Catherine Moore, 13, who plays the role of Naomi in the musical.
'We did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and HMS Pinafore but having Joe composing this makes it more exciting because we can put our own spin on things,' she said.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 3 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 4 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 5 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 6 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 7 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 8 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
Bryony Creedon Jay, 14, is playing the title role, and said: 'There are a lot of songs I have to memorise and learn the words for but I'm getting there because I'm determined to learn them so it can be the best performance.
'It was quite nerve-wracking at the start because you never know what the composer is going to throw at you. It's been a challenge, but exciting.'
It's an enthusiasm which Ms Secret feels as well. 'I'm excited by it all,' she said. 'And almost a bit nervous, this is the very first time this has ever been heard and you go for perfection anyway but we're just trying to get everything as perfect as we can.
'We really appreciate it being written for us - we were struggling to find something that would challenge the vocal range we have. They're a very talented group.'
Ruth The Musical will be performed on June 10 at 7pm at Trinity Methodist Church, Yarmouth Road, Lowestoft.
Tickets, £5, can be bought from members of Singing Futures, Take Note shop on Grove Road or on the door.
There is no charge for accompanied children under 16.