Lowestoft scout group prepare to celebrate their centenary
- Credit: Archant
Spelling out the number '100' in three-foot high illuminated figures on the roof of their headquarters, a scout group in Lowestoft is proudly announcing its centenary to neighbours.
The 4th Lowestoft (St Margaret's) Scouts have been in their present headquarters building at the junction of Marham Road and Rotterdam Road since it was opened in 1969 by former MP Jim Prior – but the group's origins date back to 1917.
The troop was established in May 1917, with 25 youngsters, under the leadership of Rev Seby-Lowndes and Rev Claude Trendell. With strong links to the parish and its church the words 'St Margaret's' were incorporated into its name.
Describing their history, current Group Scout Leader Christine Stacey said: 'The group has had its ups and downs over the years but has always survived. We currently have about 80 youngsters within the three sections: Beavers, Cubs and Scouts.'
Before moving to Rotterdam Road the group had originally been based in a wooden building behind St Margaret's Institute in Alexandra Road since being founded.
You may also want to watch:
However in 1967 there were fears for the survival of the group when they were given notice to quit the building as the Institute had been taken over by Lowestoft Committee for Education as an annexe for the College of Further Education.
A parents committee was formed and a building fund was established, which successfully raised sufficient money for the new building.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 10 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
Mrs Stacey added: 'There have been many people who have also made significant contributions to the life of 4th Lowestoft Scouts over the past 100 years. Olive Roach, who was the Cub leader for 36 years, was the longest serving and on November 11 we will acknowledge what they all achieved.'
To celebrate the group's centenary, on Saturday, November 11, the doors will be opened at 2pm for ex-scouts to pop in, view old log books and photographs and catch up on memories of their time with the 4th Lowestoft.
A commemorative tree will be planted at 4pm to mark the 100 years followed by the taking of a group photo of the present youngsters and their leaders.
This will be followed by a fundraising event – with monies raised to be shared between the group and MIND – when Assistant Scout Leader Harry Emmerson will be having his head shaved
A campfire sing-song around the fire-pit will be followed by a fireworks finale at 6pm.