Lowestoft’s bascule bridge to be closed for maintenance work
ESSENTIAL maintenance work on Lowestoft's bascule bridge over Lake Lothing will continue from this weekend and lead to it being closed.
The bridge will be closed overnight on Sunday between 8pm and 6am while a fault on one of its hydraulic units on the south bridge is investigated further.
Overnight repairs will then take place from Sunday, November 13 to Wednesday, November 16 between 8pm and 6am.
The hydraulic units are part of the system which lifts the bridge to allow harbour traffic to pass underneath.
Repairs to a faulty hydraulic unit on the north side of the bridge were completed in June.
You may also want to watch:
However, further checks of the other hydraulic units have revealed that there may be a similar fault in one of the units that lift the south part of the bridge and repairs are needed to ensure the bridge remains serviceable.
A free bus service around the diversion route will be provided for pedestrians wishing to cross the bridge during the closures.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Advanced signing and a signed diversion route will be in place during the works. All restrictions will be removed outside working times.