Lowestoft maintenance worker cleared of rape
- Credit: Archant
A maintenance worker at a Suffolk holiday park has been cleared of taking advantage of a 'tipsy' woman and raping her while her partner was crashed out on a sofa and his wife was asleep in bed.
Giving evidence at his trial at Ipswich Crown Court, Alan Glover claimed the woman had 'come on' to him and he had responded before coming to his senses and stopping the sexual activity.
He denied trying to kiss the woman in his kitchen and then following her outside and raping her.
Glover admitted he had initially lied to the police by saying nothing sexual had happened between him the alleged victim but said this was because he wanted to tell his wife what had happened first.
He denied a suggestion from prosecution counsel Joanne Eley that he had taken advantage of a 'tipsy' woman and had raped her while her partner was crashed out in the living room and his wife was asleep upstairs.
You may also want to watch:
Glover, 43, of Dawn Pointon Close, Lowestoft, denied two offences of raping the woman in June last year and was cleared by a jury of both charges after a trial.
Ipswich Crown Court has heard that the alleged victim and her partner had spent the evening drinking at Glover's home and her partner had crashed out on a sofa.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Norwich City Council LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 8 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Joy for Greens in Norwich
Glover, who worked at the Park Resort in Kessingland, had allegedly tried to kiss the woman in the kitchen and when she went into the garden for a cigarette he had allegedly followed her and forced himself on her.
After the alleged rape was reported to the police Glover initially claimed he'd given the woman a kiss and a hug but denied having any sexual contact with her.
He later changed his story and claimed she had 'come on to him' and they had touched each other sexually before he came to his senses and pulled away.