Lowestoft Lifeboat crew called to search after floating lifejacket spotted at sea
- Credit: Archant
A search was sparked this morning after a lifejacket was spotted floating just off the harbour entrance at Lowestoft.
Lowestoft RNLI lifeboat Patsy Knight was launched after the crew were called at 9.27 this morning (7 Oct) to investigate the sighting and to search for anyone in trouble in the sea nearby.
Coxswain John Fox: said 'We were joined in the search by Associated British Port's Pilot Boat 'Osprey' and it was their crew who recovered the lifejacket.
'We carried out a search pattern up as far as Corton but didn't find anything, with a lifejacket on the surface it could have come from straight out to sea and have been blown in on the stiff easterly breeze.'
The lifejacket was later passed via the lifeboat crew to HM Coastguard Rescue Teams from Lowestoft and Southwold who also helped with a shoreline search.
A spokesman said although this was a false alarm it is still important to take such precautions.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 3 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 4 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 9 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 10 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted