Watch: Lifeboat crew rescue safety boat during dinghy racing contest
- Credit: Archant
A lifeboat crew was called out during heats for a prestigious sailing competition to assist a safety boat that had got into difficulties.
During the third heat of the International Laser Class Association's World and European qualifiers being held on the east coast, a rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB) requested assistance after becoming stuck with a rope and chain around its propeller.
The Lowestoft RNLI relief lifeboat, RNLB Cosandra, was tasked with going to the aid of the safety boat, with a two-man crew aboard about 4pm on Saturday (October 13) as the top class dinghy racing continued.
Lowestoft lifeboat coxswain John Fox said: 'The RHIB was actually on the Newcombe Sands and we touched the bottom as we approached the vessel. It was awash and the broken water was breaking over the craft, as it completely filled it.
'The safety boat was towing some marker buoys and ropes and chains when one of these fouled the propeller and caused them problems. As the seawater engulfed the craft they also managed to lose the ignition key of the vessel overboard.
'So eventually when the propeller had been cleared of the obstruction they weren't able to get back under their own steam and so we assisted by throwing them a tow line and brought the safety boat back into the yacht basin, arriving about 4.30pm. The two crew members were fine – if a little wet!'
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 7 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 10 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall