Watch: Lifeboat crew rescue safety boat during dinghy racing contest
- Credit: Archant
A lifeboat crew was called out during heats for a prestigious sailing competition to assist a safety boat that had got into difficulties.
During the third heat of the International Laser Class Association's World and European qualifiers being held on the east coast, a rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB) requested assistance after becoming stuck with a rope and chain around its propeller.
The Lowestoft RNLI relief lifeboat, RNLB Cosandra, was tasked with going to the aid of the safety boat, with a two-man crew aboard about 4pm on Saturday (October 13) as the top class dinghy racing continued.
Lowestoft lifeboat coxswain John Fox said: 'The RHIB was actually on the Newcombe Sands and we touched the bottom as we approached the vessel. It was awash and the broken water was breaking over the craft, as it completely filled it.
'The safety boat was towing some marker buoys and ropes and chains when one of these fouled the propeller and caused them problems. As the seawater engulfed the craft they also managed to lose the ignition key of the vessel overboard.
You may also want to watch:
'So eventually when the propeller had been cleared of the obstruction they weren't able to get back under their own steam and so we assisted by throwing them a tow line and brought the safety boat back into the yacht basin, arriving about 4.30pm. The two crew members were fine – if a little wet!'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 What happened when The Only Way Is Essex was filmed in Norfolk?