‘His eyelashes are all gone’: Woman describes moment gas hob exploded in husband’s face
- Credit: Photo: Ozzy Eminn
A couple whose gas cooker dramatically exploded have spoken about the ordeal which saw the man's face burned and his 'beautiful eyelashes' incinerated.
On Tuesday, Anne Mosiezna and Ozzy Eminn of Union Palace, Lowestoft, were preparing a family dinner when their gas cooker exploded and emergency services were called.
Ms Mosiezna said: "It was basically like a big gas explosion from the cooker. It burned my partner's face, his nose, his eyes, and under his eyes. His eyelashes are gone.
"I don't even know what he was trying to cook. I told him to make dinner for me and our baby when I went out, but nothing was ready when I came back."
When Ms Mosiezna returned, she saw firefighters, ambulance and police outside her home. She said: "I was shocked and stressed - I don't know how this happened."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Eminn's face was red and swollen, and the ambulance advised he attended hospital, but "he didn't want to go".
Ms Mosiezna said: "I just asked for a doctor to come and check him, and then so many people came. They put a bandage on his nose, but his eyes are really hurting,"
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 3 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 7 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
She added: "As I say his eyelashes were burned, he has no eyelashes, and his eyebrows were burned.
"His eyelashes are literally all gone - and he had beautiful eyelashes. I had to cut the rest of them off for him as they were itching."
Ms Mosiezna said the cooker exploded when her partner tried to turn it on. She said: "When he opened the gas, he put his face close to it because the gas wasn't coming.
"Eventually it exploded in his face.
"All of our neighbours came out asking what happened. Our daughter is a daddy's girl and she wanted to go into his arms. She wasn't scared but was confused because there were so many people."
A spokesperson from Suffolk Fire and Rescue service, said: "Ambulance notified us of the 30-year-old male casualty. Two engines attended the gas fire involving a kitchen cooker. The oven was isolated and the gas was shut off"
An East of England Ambulance service spokesperson said: "An ambulance and a rapid response vehicle were called to an address in Lowestoft shortly after 2pm today (August 6) following reports of a man in a fire."
Luckily there was no damage to the property, and Mr Eminn is expected to make a full recovery.
"He's really tired now, he's trying to rest and let his face heal," Ms Mosiezna said.