Lowestoft firm’s prestigious Rugby World Cup links
- Credit: Archant
The countdown to the Rugby World Cup has begun.
With it being less than 1,000 days to go until Japan hosts the 2019 Rugby World Cup Finals for the first time, an east coast business has made a special trip to the far east – and visited the land of the rising sun.
It comes after sports manufacturer Harrod UK secured an exclusive contract to supply the rugby posts for the competition once more, following successful involvement in the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand and supplying posts for all UK venues who hosted matches in the 2015 tournament.
Staff from the firm – based in Pinbush Road on the South Lowestoft Industrial Estate – recently made a special trip over to Japan to visit two of the 12 venues that have been confirmed to stage the tournament matches.
Harrod UK's sales development manager, John Robinson, made the 13-hour flight to Tokyo. He said: 'This fascinating country and wonderful people are starting to embrace the tournament already, and we're still two years away! It's going to be phenomenal place to be once the tournament commences.'
You may also want to watch:
The Shizuoka Ecopa Stadium in Fukuroi is the first stadium to install a new set of Harrod UK's 17m Millennium rugby posts. Harrod UK rugby posts are already used in venues such as Twickenham and Murrayfield. With a portfolio that includes Champions League finals, the Olympics, major football tournaments and Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Harrod UK is the go-to firm for sports goalposts and nets.
Mr Robinson said: 'We have a very proud history of supplying and more importantly, delivering to many major sporting events across the UK and around the world. Overseeing the installation of this first set of rugby posts into the Ecopa Stadium was a special moment, especially when I was invited to kick the first goal through their new posts.'
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 4 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 7 Volunteers wanted - to be locked up in a Norfolk police cell
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
Kofu Field Co is Harrod UK's official distributors in Japan. They are now busily putting together proposals for the remaining stadia over the coming months – with the Sapporo and Kumamoto Stadiums likely to bring challenges for their rugby post installation due to retractable pitches.