Lowestoft disabled charity appeal for support
A Lowestoft charity that helps people with disabilities and is struggling for funding and members is appealing to the community to help raise money.
Lowestoft Shopmobility, based at Station Square, helps disabled people gain their independence by lending them mobility scooters and wheelchairs for a small fee.
To help bolster funds the charity is asking businesses to sponsor a mobility scooter or wheelchair for �100 and is starting to sell the equipment for a year long pilot period.
All of the money raised from sales will go to keeping the charity running.
And to help drum up membership numbers, Shopmobility has slashed its annual membership fee to just �10 instead of the current �25 fee.
You may also want to watch:
Margaret Oldham, the chairman of the charity, said: 'Lowestoft Shopmobility enables people to do their own shopping, deal with their own financial affairs at the bank or post office visit the library or the hair dressers, meet up with friends for lunch or enjoy the fresh air long the promenade.
'We need help to keep this vital service going, both for local people and for visitors to the town.'
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 6 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 7 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 10 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
Lowestoft Shopmobility operates six days a week and is working with Waveney District Council's tourist information centres so mobility scooters and wheelchairs are available in Lowestoft and Southwold on Sundays.
The new discounted membership scheme will work by people having the first six months free and then paying just �10 for the following six months. It costs �2 to hire a mobility scooter or wheelchair.
Anyone interested in becoming a member or becoming a sponsor should call 01502 588857 or email email@example.com