Lowestoft disabled charity appeal for support
A Lowestoft charity that helps people with disabilities and is struggling for funding and members is appealing to the community to help raise money.
Lowestoft Shopmobility, based at Station Square, helps disabled people gain their independence by lending them mobility scooters and wheelchairs for a small fee.
To help bolster funds the charity is asking businesses to sponsor a mobility scooter or wheelchair for �100 and is starting to sell the equipment for a year long pilot period.
All of the money raised from sales will go to keeping the charity running.
And to help drum up membership numbers, Shopmobility has slashed its annual membership fee to just �10 instead of the current �25 fee.
You may also want to watch:
Margaret Oldham, the chairman of the charity, said: 'Lowestoft Shopmobility enables people to do their own shopping, deal with their own financial affairs at the bank or post office visit the library or the hair dressers, meet up with friends for lunch or enjoy the fresh air long the promenade.
'We need help to keep this vital service going, both for local people and for visitors to the town.'
- 1 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 2 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 3 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 4 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 7 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
- 8 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
Lowestoft Shopmobility operates six days a week and is working with Waveney District Council's tourist information centres so mobility scooters and wheelchairs are available in Lowestoft and Southwold on Sundays.
The new discounted membership scheme will work by people having the first six months free and then paying just �10 for the following six months. It costs �2 to hire a mobility scooter or wheelchair.
Anyone interested in becoming a member or becoming a sponsor should call 01502 588857 or email firstname.lastname@example.org