Love your dog? Here’s a chance to have your four-legged friends immortalised in art
- Credit: Archant
Dog lovers have the chance to have their canine companion immortalised in an artwork as part of a new competition.
Norwich-based Super Sighthound Rescue is running the contest for people to send in their best photos of greyhounds, lurchers, podencos, salukis and other sighthounds.
There is also one category open to all breeds of dog. The prize for the winners of 12 different categories will be original piece of art based on their images, and they will be featured in a 2018 calendar.
Clare Hawkins, trustee and fundraising manager, said: 'We have been very lucky to secure the talents of 12 fabulous artists, including Jim Griffiths, possibly the most famous UK sighthound painter.
'We are hoping that people will be tempted to submit a photo or two - especially when the prize for each class is an original piece of art based on the winning image.'
You may also want to watch:
Super Sighthound Rescue was set up two years ago to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome sighthounds and sighthound mixes from both UK council pounds and 'kill shelters' in Spain.
The artists who will commit the pooches to canvas include Vince Laws, a Norfolk-based artist and poet who has recently had a runaway success with his 'Sunflower' art exhibition in Norwich.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 8 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 9 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
Eloise O'Hare, an EDP People's Choice nominated top-10 artist in 2016, is also taking part, creating one of her signature ink-and-watercolour pieces.
Other artists involved include Rebecca Mickleburgh, Tricia Wellings, Mary Abe, Alex Johansen and Lucy Baxter.
Christina Sabberton, Becky Thompson, and Charlie Vince and Jodie Ladbrooke will also paint some of the winning entries.
Categories will include 'Dressed Up Hound', 'Outdoorsy Hound', 'Older Hound' and 'Hound and their Human'.
Other categories are 'Beautiful Boy', 'Gorgeous Girl', 'Best Friends', 'Gone but not Forgotten' and 'Puppy Hound'.
There are also categories for 'Me and my Family', 'Found Hound' and 'Wannabe Hound'.
There is also a 'Best in Show' category, with the winner to be chosen by readers of this newspaper.
Winners will be announced in April. For more information and to enter, visit www.supersighthounds.co.uk