Love is in the air as couple get engaged during hot air balloon flight
- Credit: Archant
When a man proposes to her girlfriend it is often said she is left feeling sky-high.
But for Joanna Gordon, from Banham, near Diss, it really was the case as her fiancé Nick Cooke popped the question at 4,000ft.
The couple, who have been together for 18 months, were enjoying an early morning hot air balloon ride over the south Norfolk countryside when the self-employed electrician got down on one knee.
However the unusual proposal may not have happened.
Mr Cooke, from Tacolneston, said: 'I got her the balloon ride for Christmas and because I am not a big fan of heights I said to her she should take someone else.
' But she said she wanted me to come.
'I have been planning the proposal for past sixth months and I have had the ring for a month-and-a-half.
- 1 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 2 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 3 Is this Norfolk's quirkiest cafe?
- 4 Investigations continue after stabbing in town park
- 5 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 6 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 7 Norfolk recruiting police officers - but not those with 'offensive' tattoos
- 8 Dramatic drone pictures show scale of erosion on north Norfolk coast
- 9 Six places in Norfolk where KFC could open a new restaurant
- 10 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
'I said to her 'I don't have much room' and she said 'did you want me to move over?'. Then she saw I was on one knee.'
The pair, who are in their early 20s and 30s and met at a pub in Tacolneston, were joined on the balloon flight by 14 other people who offered their congratulations.
'It was just a brilliant memory,' Mr Cooke said. 'It was a clear day and we could see the North Sea. It was just very surreal.
'There were a lot of people but they were concentrating on their view. But everyone congratulated us.
'When we landed we had champagne with the others. And afterwards we went out for a meal and then we just relaxed for the rest of the day.'
Miss Cooke added: 'I was shocked when Nick asked, but delighted at the same time. It was an amazing experience.'
The couple have said they have no plans as yet for when they want to marry.