Love Actually producer and international rugby referee among UEA honorary graduates
- Credit: Archant
Love Actually producer Debra Hayward and international rugby union referee Wayne Barnes will be among those to receive honorary degrees at the UEA this year.
Other inspirational names from the worlds of business, literature, science and charity will attendthe university's week of graduation ceremonies, speaking to graduating students about their own careers, lives and successes and offering words of advice as they leave university.
Of the 19 honorary degree recipients, seven are former UEA students and eight more are from, or have strong ties to, the region.
These include former Lord Mayor of Norwich Brenda Arthur, chief executive of Aldeburgh Music Roger Wright, and UEA graduates Esther Mujawayo, a refugee therapy expert and internationally acclaimed author Abraham Peck.
Honorary degrees are given each year by the University to honour those who have made an impact in fields such as the arts, science and civil society.
You may also want to watch:
UEA vice-chancellor Prof David Richardson said: 'We take great pride in honouring those who make valuable and notable contributions to society alongside our newest cohort of graduating students and it's always a delight to hear the words of wisdom they can impart at our graduation ceremonies.'
Among those to be honoured will be Wayne Barnes, who is a UEA graduate, barrister and international rugby union referee.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
He has been involved in the last three Rugby World Cups and regularly officiates in European and Aviva Premiership games, and is the most capped English referee of all time.
Debra Hayward, who lives in Norfolk, has produced films includein Love Actually, Bridget Jones's Diary and Frost/ Nixon.
She will receive an honorary doctorate of letters.
Lord Karan Bilimoria is the founder of Cobra Beer and chairman of the Cobra Beer Partnership Limited and of Molson Coors Cobra India.
Following an introduction with UEA Vice-Chancellor Prof David Richardson in India, Lord Bilimoria opened UEA's new Enterprise Centre building last year, and he will receive an honorary doctorate of civil law.
UEA graduation ceremonies will take place from July 18 to July 22, with more than 4,000 students graduating.