‘Everything is going’ - sad reaction to closure of Loose’s Cookshop
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Iconic retailer Loose's Cookshop will be closing after 227 years, turning instead to the online industry. Here's how Norfolk reacted to the news.
We had over 100 comments on our story via Facebook, with many people saddened by the closure announcement:
Jennifer Charlton - 'Oh dear, everything's going.'
Ellen Odams - 'Oh no, my favourite shop when I was a baker.'
Mark Harper - 'That's tragic. I love going to Loose's even when I was a chef I used to go there.'
You may also want to watch:
Terri Cole - 'That is such a shame.'
MORE: Loose's Cookshop is closing after 227 years – but its owner says the future of Norfolk's high streets is brightOthers remembered the stores previous location on Magdalen Street in Norwich:
Sarah Cholwill - 'Such a shame but to me the really sad day was when the Magdalen Street store closed. The cookshop was never the same.'
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 5 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 8 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 9 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 10 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
Lise Hall - 'I remember as a little girl walking round all the tea chests filled with straw and china. That was when it was in Magdalen Street.'
Carol Ward - 'So sad that it's closing my Mum worked there when the shop was down in Magdalen Street.'
However, some people also commented that it was not a surprise the retailer had decided to go online, with others offering their own explanation behind the decision:
Chris High - 'Such a shame, I think where the shop is located is the worse problem as a lot of people do not know the shop is there. It is such a lovely shop will be sadly missed by people who use it.'
Sue Harrison - 'Another example of a change in life and purchasing styles - internet. So sad isn't it? But nobody really goes 'shopping' anymore do we? Well. I don't!'
Mikki Woodsmith - 'I've never even heard of this place but then I think it's down that alleyway that I've never been down so not surprising.'
Simon Reynolds - 'I'm sure Nisbets opening hasn't helped.'
What do you think? Will you miss the physical Loose's Cookshop, or do you think their move online was inevitable?