Long traffic delays as Bascule bridge in Lowestoft gets stuck
- Credit: Archant
Motorists travelling through Lowestoft are facing heavy delays this afternoon, due to a technical fault with the Bascule bridge in the town.
Police closed off the bridge on the A12 off in both directions leading to a significant traffic build up this afternoon, after a mechanical fault caused it to get stuck.
However, the road has now re-opened, after the technical fault was dealt with.
Police and firefighters were on scene to divert traffic away from the bridge while it remained stuck, with it re-opening at just before 4pm..
An update on the Highways England website said: 'The A12 through the town of Lowestoft is closed both northbound and southbound between the junctions of the B1532 and the A47, due to an issue with the Bascule bridge.
You may also want to watch:
'Road users are advised to allow plenty of extra time and to consider alternative routes.'
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 10 Popular wine merchant took his own life, inquest hears