Long traffic delays as Bascule bridge in Lowestoft gets stuck
- Credit: Archant
Motorists travelling through Lowestoft are facing heavy delays this afternoon, due to a technical fault with the Bascule bridge in the town.
Police closed off the bridge on the A12 off in both directions leading to a significant traffic build up this afternoon, after a mechanical fault caused it to get stuck.
However, the road has now re-opened, after the technical fault was dealt with.
Police and firefighters were on scene to divert traffic away from the bridge while it remained stuck, with it re-opening at just before 4pm..
An update on the Highways England website said: 'The A12 through the town of Lowestoft is closed both northbound and southbound between the junctions of the B1532 and the A47, due to an issue with the Bascule bridge.
'Road users are advised to allow plenty of extra time and to consider alternative routes.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 5 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 6 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword