Stunning paintings of the Fens by Norfolk artist Fred Ingrams
- Credit: Christopher Drake
The Great Ellingham artist revealing the wild beauty of the Fens to a national and international audience
Artist Fred Ingrams finds beauty in the vast fields and flowing lines of the Fens.
His pictures of sea banks, drainage dyles and cabbage fields have attracted national attention
Fred lives in Great Ellingham, near Attleborough, and for the past 11 years has been painting the flat lands where Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire merge into the horizon. But his endless fields and channels and skies are picked out in vibrant green or pink or orange so that a field of purple sprouts looks like a surrealist take on the tropics and ditches vibrate with vivid colour.
In the 1980s Fred was part of a group of artists living and working in London, including Francis Bacon, who bought one of his paintings and Damian Hirst. Fred, the son of Richard Ingrams, former editor of Private Eye and The Oldie, went on to work as a graphic designer and magazine art director for national magazines including Vogue and Tatler.
You may also want to watch:
However, his paintings now are of scenes a world away from socialites and celebrities. Fred transforms views some see as featureless and monotonous into landscapes alive with space, geometry and drama.
After four sell-out shows, his latest exhibition, features more than 20 new works, painted in acrylic, and priced at £2,400- £6,600.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Fred Ingrams: The Edge of Landscape is at the IRIS studios, Adrian Mews, Kensington, SW10 9AE, from June 26-29.