Drivers and ‘darn great camper’ park where they like at popular beach
- Credit: Winterton-On-Sea Facebook page
Visitors to one of Norfolk’s most popular seaside villages have been criticised for their “selfish” parking.
Winterton’s wild beauty and growing seal population are a big draw, with narrow Beach Road - a pinch point that leads to the car park and cafe - needing to be kept clear.
In response to parking chaos two years ago, a year-round ban was brought in on January 13 2020 - but on Saturday (November 7) it was ignored by some who parked on the verges, potentially damaging the dunes and adding to congestion.
MORE: Revealed: The number of motorists caught out by new seaside parking banAs well as cars parked illegally, people also noted a large campervan with bikes on the back had pulled in at the top of the road.
Commenting on social media, people tagged the actions as “unbelievable”, “ridiculous”, and “selfish”.
Another said: “A darn great camper van as well - utterly disgraceful,” while questioning if the owners were intending to stay overnight in their tourer.
An online blog about the village moved to remind people there was no parking along Beach Road at any time of the year, reposting an article that people “parked at their peril”.
You may also want to watch:
The post said the enforcement authority had been informed and would be taking action.
The car park and toilets are open every day 8.30am to 4pm.
- 1 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 2 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 3 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 4 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 7 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 8 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries