Local election results so far could suggest a good day for Conservatives
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
Results across the country could suggest success for the region's Conservatives in the local election.
Overnight the party gained control of five councils and Labour have lost two in the first sets of results.
In Essex, results saw a sea of blue as the Tories took 56 of the 75 seats available - an increase of 12.
mThis wiped out UKIP in the county, which now holds no seats, whereas in 2013 they won nine and were the joint largest opposition party.
UKIP also lost all its seats in Lincolnshire, which was met with Tory gains.
You may also want to watch:
And Labour also lost control of Blaenau Gwent and Bridgend.
MORE: For more election news click here
The Tories also retained control in Somerset, as the Liberal Democrats have had mixed results.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
For many authorities - including Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire - counting does not start until today.
Results elsewhere could suggest it will be a good day for Norfolk Conservatives at the expense of UKIP, while Labour will be very anxious given their losses elsewhere so far.
• For results as they come in, continue to check this website or follow us on Twitter throughout the day.