Local Election 2017: Lowestoft Town Council count under way
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Counting is under way to discover who will be elected onto the new town council for Lowestoft.
Covering the whole of the town – from Gunton in the north to Pake?eld in the south – representing about 36,500 electors, there are 20 seats available on Lowestoft Town Council.
With four wards uncontested – at Normanston, Gunton, Pakefield and St Margaret's – it means some candidates have already automatically secured a seat.
MORE: For more election news click here http://www.edp24.co.uk/topic/Tag/Election%202017
This afternoon (Friday) the Harbour, Elmtree and Kirkley wards will be decided – with three seats available for each of the three divisions.
The new councils will represent local people on local issues and will be responsible for some services and assets in the area like play areas, parks and gardens. Some of the larger assets due to be transferred include Lowestoft Town Hall, the Marina Theatre and Nicholas Everitt Park.
You may also want to watch:
Those nominated for the Lowestoft Elmtree ward are Peter Lang, Green; Bill Mountford, Independent; Chris Thomas, Liberal Democrats and Nick Webb, Independent.
Those nominated for the Lowestoft Harbour ward are Nasima Begum, Labour; Ian Graham, Labour; Peter Knight, Independent; David Ormsby, Independent and Steve Pullen, Independent.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 8 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 9 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 10 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
And those nominated for the Lowestoft Kirkley ward are Desmond Baldry, Independent; Wendy Dalton, June Ford, Labour; Mark Moran, Green; Alice Taylor, Independent and Jennifer Wallin, Independent.
Lowestoft Town Council will meet for the first time on May 16.