Work to start to tackle Thorpe St Andrew flooding - but it will mean five months of disruption
- Credit: © ARCHANT } NORFOLK 2002.
Work to prevent flooding in Thorpe St Andrew will begin next week, but the £1.1m project will mean five months of disruption.
Thorpe St Andrew has been badly affected by flooding in the past and Norfolk County Council was last year successful in a £9.1m bid to the Department for Transport for money to help solve that and other problems.
The council is adding £1.2m to that to tackle the issues.
In most urban areas the drainage system is made up of gullies on the highway connecting into small scale piped networks that discharge to existing water courses.
But in many residential areas on the northern fringes of Norwich the existing gullies do not work this way, instead discharging into soakaways and boreholes which connect to underground aquifers.
You may also want to watch:
These older systems no longer work effectively which can lead to flooding during prolonged or heavy rainstorms.
The work in Thorpe St Andrew will see carrier pipes laid in trenches linking to existing soakaways, boreholes and drainage system.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 3 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 6 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 7 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 8 Woman in 70s knocked over by cyclist at bus station
- 9 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 10 Norwich man found guilty of 33-year-old's murder
During construction, excavated areas will be fenced off and road closures will be in operation to ensure the safety of the public with signed diversion routes in place.
• Work will take place in:
Hillside Avenue (Thunder Lane to Meadow Lane)
Thunder Lane (from Yarmouth Road to Hillcrest Road)
Hillcrest Road (from Thunder Lane to Gordon Avenue)
Gordon Avenue (from Hillcrest Rd to Harvey Lane)
Thor Road (from Hillcrest Road to Thor Close)
Hillside Close and Hillside Road (from outside 3, Hillside Close to outside 25, Hillside Road)