Who will get £60,000 from Tesco for sport in Sheringham?
- Credit: Archant
Tuesday is decision day for the handout of £60,000 of Tesco cash to fund sporting facilities in Sheringham.
The town's high school and sports association are going head-to-head at an evening town council meeting to convince members to select them for the gift.
The school wants to use the money for floodlights at its artificial sports pitch, enabling it to use the facility all year round and into evenings.
Currently the pitch can only be used when there is enough natural light.
The sports association already has floodlights, but wants the money to go towards an artificial surface for a multi-use games area at its Weybourne Road recreation ground, catering for sports including football, hockey, basketball, netball and others.
You may also want to watch:
Tesco made the money available as part of the drawn out and controversial deal that will see it construct a supermarket on Cromer Road in Sheringham.
The store giant was initially going to provide sports facilities at the new community centre, which it has built on Holway Road to replace the one on Cromer Road.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
But, following concerns about inadequate parking at the site, Tesco was eventually given permission to remove the facilities from the plan and instead give a £60,000 gift to the town.