Watchdog issues warning after spate of council tax scam cold calls in Norfolk
- Credit: PA
Watchdogs have warned people not to fall for telephone cold call scams from con artists who claim they can 'save you money on your council tax'.
Norfolk Trading Standards have received reports of people in the county receiving the calls.
During the call, claims will be made often around being able to make savings of 'hundreds of pounds per year' including 'claiming refunds for previous years' and that 'your neighbours are already paying less'.
The caller will then attempt to take an upfront fee for the service, usually between £50 and £100.
Trading Standards always advises to be very wary of claims made during telephone cold calls and NEVER agree to a pay for a service if approached this way.
You may also want to watch:
They say people who believe the council tax banding for their property can challenge this available via the Valuation Office which is free of charge. Information is available at www.gov.uk/council-tax-appeals/challenge-your-band
Watchdogs said anyone who gets a call should hang up and report it to us via the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 6 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 7 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 8 City confirm midfielder exit
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children