Warning to Norfolk drivers as A47 at Postwick closes for weekend works
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Drivers have been reminded the A47 on the edge of Norwich will be closed in both directions at Postwick this weekend, as work to create a new bridge across the road continues.
Closures will begin at 8pm tomorrow night and the road will reopen no later than 6am on Monday, according to bosses at Norfolk County Council.
The work is part of the £19m Postwick Hub scheme. Work to put part of the bridge in place last weekend finished ahead of schedule and the road was reopened early, but it is expected this weekend's work will need a full closure.
Traffic will be diverted as follows:
Eastbound (towards Great Yarmouth)
You may also want to watch:
A47 traffic heading east will be diverted on to the new access roads that will serve the expanded Broadland Business Park and new Broadland Gate business areas. This route includes five roundabouts before traffic rejoins the A47.
Westbound (towards Dereham and King's Lynn)
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 10 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
A47 traffic heading west will have a shorter diversion, but this will pass through works on the new Oaks Lane roundabout and the major junction at the southern end of the existing and new (under construction) bridges over the A47.
It will not be possible to cross the A47 southbound on the existing bridge to reach Church Road. Traffic wanting to head westbound out of the city will have to go via the A47 Cucumber Lane roundabout, using the main eastbound diversion.
This is the second of three weekend closures (Friday, May 8 to Monday, May 11 remains), with a fourth weekend (Friday, May 15 to Monday, May 18) in reserve in case of delays.
• What do you think of the work? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.