Town council gives retirement gift to Thetford team rector of 10 years
- Credit: Archant
A long-serving town rector has received a thank you from the last mayor to whom he will serve as chaplain.
Canon Bob Baker was invited to attend a meeting of Thetford Town Council last night by mayor Terry Jermy before his retirement at the end of October.
In a speech of thanks to Canon Baker, who has worked in Thetford for 10 years, Mr Jermy said: 'I was really pleased when Bob agreed to be my chaplain. I find that he has made religion understandable and accessible. On behalf of the town, thank you for your humour, dedication and service to Thetford.'
Canon Baker added: 'I am aware I am not leaving a sinking ship as there is a lot going on in this town. It has been a real honour and privilege and I am grateful to everyone who has supported me.'
Mr Jermy presented Canon Baker with a town seal as a gift from the council.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base