Time for a gay Peppa Pig? Norman Lamb calls for more same-sex couples on children’s TV
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Prospective Liberal Democrat leader Norman Lamb is calling for children's TV to feature more same-sex couples.
Mr Lamb, MP for North Norfolk, said the lack of LGBT characters on children's TV was down to bigotry.
He made his comments in an interview with Pink News, a paper aimed at gay readers.
Mr Lamb said: 'It is deemed inappropriate to show same-sex couples on children's television – in a manner not dissimilar from the treatment of mixed-race couples a generation ago.
'Our broadcasters must realise that sexuality is not, fundamentally, about who you want to have sex with – but who you are, and who you love.'
You may also want to watch:
Asked whether this means he'd like to see gay characters in shows like Peppa Pig, he said: 'If you impose arbitrary limits, you're saying that actually at heart, it's not equatable.
'It should absolutely not be out of bounds, which it appears to be at the moment.'
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 9 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 10 Two people injured in A47 crash
Do you think there should be more same-sex couples on children's TV? Email EDPletters@archant.co.uk