Ticket office set to close at Norwich bus station
- Credit: © ARCHANT NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHIC
Further changes to the running of Norwich's £5m bus station have been announced, which will see its enquiry and ticket sales desk closed to the public.
The changes will happen on Friday, October 11, bringing yet another change to the state-of-the-art building since it was opened in 2005.
In April 2011 the ticket office was saved at the 11th hour after National Express Coaches agreed to take it over.
That followed a Norfolk County Council decision to close the enquiry desk to save £250,000 a year following the 2010-11 Big Conversation consultation into ways to meet a £155m three-year spending gap.
Then in June 2012 the bus station was damaged after water poured through its roof into the main building, containing the ticket office, café and toilets.
You may also want to watch:
This led to the bus station having to be closed for a week in February of this year so that repairs worth £250,000 could be carried out to repair the long-running problems with the roof.
A county council spokesman explained that the bus station's travel centre building and facilities, including its toilets, will be kept open for public use when National Express closes the inquiry and ticket sales desk.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
However the county council are hoping the closure won't be permanent, with the spokesman saying: 'The county council has already received an expression of interest from another operator to take over the enquiry and tickets sales desk.
'Until details have been finalised the council is making interim arrangements to maintain an information service using its own and contractor staff.'