Election 2017: “Theresa May is toast” - Clive Lewis reacts to shock exit poll
- Credit: photograph by mark tillie
A jubilant Clive Lewis has predicted this election has ended Theresa May's time in 10 Downing Street as exit polls point to a hung parliament.
Putting the Conservatives on 314 seats, fewer than David Cameron picked up two years ago, the poll suggests the party cannot form an overall majority.
Mr Lewis, who is defending his seat in Norwich South, said the election had been 'completely unnecessary' and has weakened Mrs May's hand heading into the looming Brexit talks.
'We were being told by the Tories they were going to be the largest party and they would be celebrating a landslide but look what's happened,' said Mr Lewis. 'If this is correct we haven't won, but this is the most left wing, progressive manifesto we have seen in the last 30 or 40 years
'If there is one thing you can say for sure now – it is Theresa May is toast.
You may also want to watch:
'She called this election for a mandate. Even if they are the biggest party she goes in to these talks with a weaker hand.
'She has caused instability and chaos. It was a completely unnecessary election for her own personal aggrandisement.'
- 1 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 2 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 5 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 7 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 8 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Person pulled from car stuck in floodwater
He added he was confident about hanging on to his seat, but stressed he was 'not taking anything for granted'.