There’s ‘no prospect’ of funding for Ely North rail junction upgrade before 2019
- Credit: Archant
Transport bosses have dashed hopes that extra funding would be provided for a crucial study holding up more twice-hourly train services between King's Lynn and Cambridge and Norwich and Cambridge at the Ely junction.
Last year the £35m upgrade to the Ely North rail junction – which was set to start in 2016 – was put back to at least 2019, when the next funding period starts.
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss held a rail summit in February in Downham Market with fellow MPs and Network Rail, and campaigners agreed to seek to secure funding for a development study into the scheme as early as possible to make sure that work will be ready to start in 2019.
Ms Truss also made an unsuccessful plea for extra funding towards the project before the budget.
While the Department for Transport has pledged to support the work being done by local councils and local enterprise partnerships (LEPs) to progress the study, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said in a letter to Ms Truss that there was 'no prospect' of the government or Network Rail providing funding for the improvements before 2019.
You may also want to watch:
He added in the letter: 'I understand the frustration that the delays to ...improvements will cause to customers. However, ...these major works are only being delayed, not cancelled.'
Ms Truss said: 'I will be having further meetings with Network Rail and Department for Transport officials to monitor progress.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
How much is the delay to the rail upgrade affecting your business? Email firstname.lastname@example.org