Surprise on the streets of Norwich after snap election call
- Credit: Archant.
There was surprise on the streets of Norwich after the prime minister called for a snap election.
This video shows how Theresa May's announcement has gone down on the streets of Norwich.
Some people welcomed the call, which the prime minister said she had concluded was the way forward 'recently and reluctantly'.
They said it was shrewd move to give herself a mandate ahead of the future negotiations over Brexit, and that the timing had come at a time when there were questions over the chances of success for a Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour party.
But others said they were disappointed at the call and that it would add to uncertainty.
You may also want to watch:
A motion will be put to Parliament tomorrow and Mrs May will need to get a two-thirds majority to trigger the June 8 general election.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 7 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 8 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 9 Five takeaways planned to open in Norfolk
- 10 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’