Stalled scheme for new homes at former RAF Coltishall base could be revived
- Credit: Mike Page
A stalled scheme to build homes at the former RAF Coltishall site could be revived.
Norfolk County Council agreed almost three years ago to ask Morgan Sindall to come up with plans for the officers' mess at the former air base.
The county council's development vision for the base, which it bought for £4m in 2013 and has rebranded as Scottow Enterprise Park, would see that part of the 600-acre site turned into housing.
Morgan Sindall had been due to carry out work, with the homes then sold on the open market, but the £10m project was hit by delays.
However, at a council meeting on Monday, members of County Hall's policy and resources committee will be asked to give permission for the authority to 'dispose' of the officer's mess and the sergeant's mess too - a total of 16.5 acres.
The report which will go before councillors states: 'In relation to the former officer's mess part of the site the council has been working with partners to develop proposals for residential use.
You may also want to watch:
'Furthermore it is possible the former sergeant's mess area can also be developed for a similar use.'
An agreement to dispose of those buildings paves the way for them to be passed to a developer.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 7 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
Tthe part of the complex which has significant heritage value would be protected.
A council spokeswoman said: 'Our aim is to lever the opportunities provided by the former RAF Coltishall site to promote jobs and gain income to support council services.
'Should members declare both the former officer's mess and former sergeant's mess as surplus we would look to develop plans for the sites. Any development on either site would need to go through the usual planning process.
'It is likely that we would continue to work with Morgan Sindall to develop plans for housing on the former officer's mess site. No other partners have been confirmed as of yet.'
People living in Badersfield had previously raised concerns about plans for housing on the former air base, with concerns the development could swallow up the green space surrounding their homes.