Should we pay an extra 5p for a coffee cup? The Lib Dems think we should
Caffeine addicts could be charged an extra 5p for a disposable cup under plans being weighed up by the Liberal Democrats.
They want to capitalise on the success of the plastic bag levy which has seen an 85pc cut in use since it was introduced. They claim two billion less cups could be used each year.
Currently two-and-a-half billion disposable cups are thrown away every year in the UK – around seven million every day - and fewer than one in 400 are recycled.
Delegates at their party conference will have to play an extra 5p for a disposable cup this month.
Liberal Democrat Leader, Tim Farron MP, said: 'Throwaway cups are a threat to wildlife and the environment and its high time the Government stepped in to reduce the amount of waste created each year. I want to see a culture shift towards bringing your own cup for a refill, rather than buying cups which are often non-recyclable and then throwing them away. Liberal Democrats brought in the plastic bag charge and it's been proven highly successful – coffee cups are the next logical step.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction