Short-term Thetford bus station ‘an accident waiting to happen’
- Credit: Archant
A town's interim bus station has been declared 'an accident waiting to happen' after it was announced it will be on a site that was previously considered unfit for purpose.
Thetford will be without a station for a year from Spring 2014 with work on the new Minstergate site and the redevelopment of the current Bridge Street site set to run side by side.
It had been mooted that buses would drop off at a variety of spots around the town, including the A11 bypass, as an alternative.
Norfolk County Council told Thetford town councillors on Tuesday that it would be using the Chase car park, on Bury Road, as a temporary solution instead.
Councillors remain sceptical about the plans, particularly as the county council had deemed the site unfit for a bus station when plans for the new Minstergate site were being put together.
You may also want to watch:
Denis Crawford, Norfolk County councillor for Thetford East and town councillor, said: 'I am concerned about it as I don't think it's a safe proposition.
'They don't have plans to widen the pavement there to create better access and it could be a problem.'
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 6 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 7 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 8 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 9 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 10 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
Corinne Fulford, town councillor, said: 'I find it difficult to see how we could use that site considering that previously the council said it wasn't an option.
'It remains to be seen as to whether it will work or not but it's interesting bearing in mind how concerned people are about the new bus station.'