Rush hour jam in Norwich as city centre road is shut so traffic island can be moved
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Frustrated drivers last night found themselves caught up in rush hour jams in the centre of Norwich.
The downhill lane of Cattle Market Street was shut because a traffic island was installed in the wrong place.
And that contributed to long queues around the city, with build ups in Ber Street, Cattle Market Street, Golden Ball Street, All Saints Green, Queens Road and Rouen Road - the diversion route for cars unable to get down Cattle Market Street.
The situation was not helped by a crash involving two cars in Queens Road, close to the Sainsbury's petrol station.
As reported a 'design oversight' on the traffic island - part of a multi-million pound shake-up in the city centre - means it must be moved eight metres down the road.
You may also want to watch:
Angry motorists took to Twitter to vent their frustration over the jams, with Queens Road among those where there were still queues at 7pm.
Gill Johnson tweeted: '75 minutes to do 1.4 miles to get from duke street to Bracondale. New record of ridiculousness.'
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
Kristopher Harper tweeted: 'Another evening spent stuck in new traffic system... Apparently this is improvement for Norwich, being paid for by tax payers...'
Chris Moore posted: 'Assuming someone actually works in traffic planning in Norwich, can they be fired immediately? #gridlock'
Becki-Lu tweeted: 'Such bad traffic everywhere at the moment in Norwich as they have decided to do road work everywhere at once !!! #bad planning # #Norwich'
Gorgeous Lloyd posted: 'The traffic in Norwich is an absolute joke!'
Amanda Bayfield said: 'What a nightmare on the roads today, to and from Norwich. #norfolkroads'
George Walker posted: 'Roads gridlocked at 7pm on a weds, absolute joke with roadworks and closures'
And Sue C tweeted: 'Got caught up in the catastrophic traffic jams. Took us 50 minutes to get out of Chapelfield car park!'
• Were you caught up in the jams? Email firstname.lastname@example.org