New traffic light synchronisations to be tested around busy ring road junction
- Credit: Archant © 2011
New synchronisations for a series of traffic lights in Eaton are to be trialled in hope of increasing traffic flow into the city centre.
Seven sets of traffic lights around Eaton are to be resynched in the coming weeks, after members of the Norwich highways agency committee approved the scheme on a trial basis.
It is part of a scheme to relieve congestion at the Daniels Road Roundabout and get traffic using the A11 into the city quicker.
Judith Lubbock, Liberal Democrat councillor for the Eaton ward, raised fears that the move could have an adverse effect on side roads in the area.
However, Mike Stonard, the committee's vice chairman, said the volume of traffic using the A11 meant it had to take priority.
You may also want to watch:
He said: '40,000 vehicles use the A11 every day. Those finding new routes through side roads would likely be in the hundreds - not 40,000.'
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 5 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 6 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 7 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 8 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 9 Five takeaways planned to open in Norfolk
- 10 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’